What is important in a healthy relationship?
All relationships are different and it’s good to remember that no relationship is perfect. The most important thing is communication based on honesty and respect.
- Equality. Equality in a relationship means that both people’s feelings and wishes are respected and met as much as possible, rather than one person dominating at the expense of the other.
- Honesty. Honesty is the foundation of a good and lasting relationship. In a relationship built on honesty, you can admit you were wrong, tell the truth without being afraid, and forgive mistakes.
- Respect. It is important to respect each other. It is important to respect each other’s opinions, and trust and support each other. When a relationship is governed by respect, no one is controlling or trying to change the other person.
- Good communication (in Icelandic) is the glue that keeps people together. You need to listen to each other and be ready to discuss problems and disagreements. Arguments often happen simply due to misunderstandings!
To strengthen good communication
- Be clear and speak precisely.
- Communicate your feelings and ask about your partner’s feelings.
- Try to imagine yourself in the other person’s shoes and see the issue from their perspective.
- Brainstorm possible solutions where you both get most of what you want.
- Talking down.
- Calling names.
- Setting ultimatums.