What is a forced marriage?
Forced marriage is when a person has not agreed to marry but does so to gain benefits for themselves or the oppressor. This is human trafficking because someone benefits from what the person is exploited to do.
You could be in a forced marriage if:
- You are threatened with violence or other means to marry someone you do not want to marry.
- You are forced to marry someone who benefits by getting a esidential permit or citizenship.
- You did not know you were getting married.
- You cannot talk about your marriage with others
- You were promised a residential permit, citizenship, or money in exchange for getting married.
- Somebody else benefits from you marrying without your will.